Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Words Matter

Words matter.

I truly believe that. It's one of the principles upon which I live my life. I know that the right words used in the right context can change the world when deployed correctly.

It's just sometimes hard to believe that my words matter.

I find it so easy to neglect my writing. If I'm only writing for myself, or ranting away into an unhearing void, then what obligations can I have to maintain my blog?

I tell myself that no one really cares what I have to say. That my words don't matter yet.

I don't think I can say that anymore.

This morning I received one of the most meaningful emails of my life. A friend and former coworker of mine told me that my words had actually made a difference, that something I had written changed her perspective on an issue and gave voice to things she had trouble saying herself.

"Your writing matters .... You're making a difference."

I don't think there are any better things you can say to a writer.

Guess I'm out of excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment