Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Steampunk Parade Act Three


For my third steampunk outfit, I was planning on a relatively easy costume (especially after the sewing that the lady will take!). While it will look lush and exotic (if I do it right) the costume itself is really fairly easy. This one will be an exotic madam, proprietress of a thriving business of working girls. She caters to the whims of the wealthy with her girls from around the world. She is a bit amoral at times, but she is a first rate feminist, who will capitalize on the lot she has been given in life.

See? Told you I'd develop stories for the characters. This one will be a lot of fun to play. I can see myself assuming her character all day, and possibly acquiring her girls for the business throughout Con! :)

So, the costume. I guess I can say a bit about that one. Unfortunately the pattern for this one is a bit more than the others, but I already have the fabric I want to use, so yay there! The pattern is to the right and comes from Ageless Patterns and is called the Princess gown. The descriptions say it was worn over a "plastron" blouse and a "heliotrope faille" skirt. Because my character is a might scandalous, and this is steamPUNK, I will be wearing little underneath but a corset and some lace knickers, with fishnet stockings. Of course, you won't see much of that, but it will be implied. (Sad note, I could not think of that word, but I knew a great synonym was intimated. This is what I get for reading and writing too much fantasy! Or from teaching... I choose the vocab word over the obvious one.)

For the fabric, I plan to use one of the several Chinese brocade fabrics I have been holding on to. I have a black and white with red silk screening, a pale green with darker green, and one I can't remember without going to dig it out, and seeing as I'm lazy and drinking wine on the couch while watching the newest Camelot series, which is turning out pretty good, I'll skip that one for now.

Since I'm going to use an Asian-inspired fabric for the dress, I will use steampunk elements in the accessories. I want to design a collar choker necklace with lots of beads to mimic the high necks of lots of Victorian wear, but leaves a bit of skin showing. I'll likely incorporate a few gears into this as I have available. I'll wear high buttoned up or laced up boots with my fishnets and almost assuredly a top hat with veil and feathers. If I can find a suitable pair of eyeglasses to go with it, I'll add those, but I don't see them as necessary.

Ideas? Criticisms?

Picture credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment