Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Steampunk Parade Continues

My second costume for the steampunk parade will be a lady about town. This one will be more Victorian in inspiration than punk, and I need to develop a stronger backstory and name for this character. Who knows, maybe in the future I'll post some short stories to further develop the creative outlet in this costuming. But for now she's just a lady about town.

This costume will be very piecemeal, using several different patterns and alterations to achieve the look I want. I will start with another Simplicity pattern. This pattern was designed to take special advantage of the creativity and the DIY-ness of the steampunk community, and frankly, I rather like the basic design of the pattern. However, I'm planning to make significant changes.

First, my favorite element of it is the front fasten jacket that buttons just underneath the breasts and falls back into tails. But it needs a bit of work. The front will mostly remain the same, though I may alter the sleeves a bit. I have not decided on a fabric, but I'm thinking something lush and rich looking but that I can find for a reasonable price. Maybe I'll do it in a nice navy blue, possibly with even a bit of a sheen to it. We'll see what I can find on sale, and work around that.

I plan to alter the tails though. So far the back seems to just fall voluminously down the back of the dress. I want something more. I want a bustle like you can see to the right. This means altering the front edge of the bottom of the jacket, adding a bustle to turn it into more of a traditional polonaise than a simple jacket with tails.

Instead of the bustier from the pattern I plan to wear a full corset top underneath. I haven't decided (again) what fabric exactly I will use here. I'll choose something to compliment the fabric I choose for the jacket. Either way, I prefer the cinched full corset, best. This will give me more of the tight Victorian hourglass without disrupting too much of the ladylike feel of the full jacket and skirt.

Speaking of the skirt, I at first wanted to do a fantail or mermaid skirt, but James has mostly talked me out of that. One, it will make the bustle just a bit too much for the skirt. Two, it would betray the aesthetic of the more formal full skirt with the polonaise, and I want this to be a very regal lady costume. The fabric may be the same as my jacket, but I may choose something contrasting like above with the white and black. Ooh, that's a fun idea. Maybe do a white and black striped corset with white and black contrasting jacket and skirt... I don't know. Any ideas??

As for the accessories, I'm thinking either a cameo necklace on a ribbon or with extravagantly designed choker collar. And a hat! I don't know if I want to do a tophat with feathers as I've done in the past or attempt something a bit more extravagant. (I hope we're gathering the theme here is extravagance!)

The image to the upper left is a good example of what I would do to develop my top hat further, and would fit the outfit better. The one below is the larger more extravagant version. Of course I could do it without the single large feather and instead adorn with many small feathers, a number of silk flowers that fit the design of the dress. Or I could do something with just a fascinator. I really haven't decided yet. :)

Anyway, that's mostly the extent of my upperclass lady costume. Any ideas for a name? A backstory? Any suggestions might help me figure out more of the details for the costume. I'm starting to think new money; maybe she just married a wealthy inventor type, knows nothing about technology but thrives on the proceeds of her husband's genius. She loves to go to the opera and take transatlantic zeppelin rides, but hates what the wind up there does to her fabulous hats. Approval? :)





Picture Credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment