Monday, April 4, 2011

The Steampunk Parade

After several days of research, I've picked out several of my costume patterns for Dragon*Con this year. All of them I have planned so far are going to be Steampunk characters that I will be fleshing out more completely over the coming months. As for the designs, I promised Erica I'd lay them out in detail here, but if you're not interested, just ignore what follows. I'll be linking to the patterns I'm using as well as pictures of adjustments. I haven't chosen my fabrics yet, but those will follow soon. :)

First and foremost is the costume I am most excited about. If I complete nothing else, I will be making this fully and perfectly. I'm doing a Steampunk version of Tinkerbell.


Copyright held by ~irobert

I've wanted to do this for a while, and since I did almost no costumes last year, due to getting
married earlier in the summer, I look forward to doing something challenging. I will be using a pattern from Simplicity in a military green khaki as my base. I will use a shorter skirt and thinner straps. I plan to wear an undercorset (a variation bridging the gaps between this, this and this) over that with harness that fit back to hold up my wings.

The wings are the difficult part and will definitely take the longest to create. I have several ideas of what to try. If you saw the third link for the undercorset, you saw a version of steampunk wings. Unfortunately, those are not fairy wings in any way. They're too feathery, too bulky to be fairy wings. Tinkerbell has very light, translucent wings. But how does one make that steampunk?



Here are two images I found that are adaptable. Again they are too heavy, but replacing the substance of the wing with some lighter fabric. I like the span of the wings on the far left, but fear they're too batlike in design. The wings on the near left have the coolest mechanism at the joint, which I would happily duplicate (though I don't have the engineering ability to make them work), but the wings themselves are also too heavy while still looking insubstantial. If anyone has any clue on how to do fairy wings with a steampunk bent, I would really appreciate the help!

I'll wear either knee-high, lace-up boots or spats that extend to my knees, but on whichever I choose, I'll affix tiny bells to it, so I jingle when I walk. In addition, I think I'll add a utility belt with tools and gadgets so I can be a true "tinker." Finally, I think I will use a blonde wig with a geared and belled headdress like the one to the right.

And I think that's about it. That's my first costume: "Tinker"Bell.

Any comments will be appreciated! :)



Picture Credits:
*Adiene(Krista Holewinske) Beautiful work!

No comments:

Post a Comment